Three New Zealand cycle routes have been named among the most Instagrammed in the world, racking up an exceptionally high number of photo shares per mile.
The Blue Ridge Parkway in the United States, which spans the southern and central Appalachian Mountains, topped global adventure tour operator Explore Worldwide’s list of the 30 “most perfect bike trails according to data from Instagram”.
To compile the list, the company’s trail specialists divided the number of hashtags that 100 popular trails around the world had accumulated on Instagram by their length in miles to determine their number of photo shares per mile.
Encompassing the tallest mountain peak in the eastern United States (Mount Mitchell) and the oldest river in North America (New River), the 755 km Blue Ridge Parkway garnered 823 Instagram images per mile.
* Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Route: Is this the most scenic bike ride in New Zealand?
* Waikato River Trails: a scenic bike ride through one of New Zealand’s most overlooked regions
* These fun cycle paths will make you want to get on your bike
* Pioneer: Meet the man who mapped New Zealand’s 22 great attractions
The Going to the Sun route in the US state of Montana came second with 734 images per kilometer, followed by Lake Ohrid in eastern Albania with 691 images, Shimanami Kaido in Japan with 582 images and the South Downs Way in the UK with 488 images.
The highest rated New Zealand trail on the list was the Hauraki Rail Trail with 64 images per kilometer, placing it at 18th.
One of New Zealand’s easiest Great Rides, the Waikato Trail follows historic railway lines between the River Thames, Paeroa, Te Aroha, Waihī and Matamata, passing the Shorebird Coast and mining relics of gold from the Karangahake Gorge.
The 197 km trail is usually hiked in four to five days, but can be hiked in sections on day hikes.
The Alps 2 Ocean Trail was the second-highest rated Kiwi route on the list, ranking 26th with 24 frames per kilometer.
Stretching over 300km between the Southern Alps and Oamaru, the trail has been touted as one of the most scenic in the country, offering riders glacial lakes, braided rivers, golden tussock pools, bizarre fossilized rock formations, pretty country towns and the charming vineyards of one of New Zealand’s newest wine regions.
Scraping at number 30, the Otago Central Rail Trail was the third New Zealand trail to make the list with 16 frames per kilometer.
Aotearoa’s original Great Ride, the 152km trail follows an old railway line between Clyde and Middlemarch, showing pretty gold rush-era towns, abandoned gold mines and vineyards backing onto hills. mountains.
The top 10 was completed by Kinderdijk Cycle Route in the Netherlands; Simpsons Gap Cycle Path in Queensland, Australia; Carretera Austral (CH-7, Southern Way) in Patagonia, Chile; the Cabot Trail in the Cape Breton Highlands in Canada; and the Crater Loop Trail in the US state of Oregon.
The “most scenic” bike paths in the world according to the list
- Blue Ridge Parkway, North Carolina and Virginia, USA
- Go to Sun Road, Montana, USA
- Lake Ohrid, Eastern Albania
- Shimanami Kaido, Hiroshima and Ehime Prefecture, Japan
- The South Downs Path, Hampshire and Sussex, UK
- Kinderdijk cycle path, South Holland, Netherlands
- Simpson’s Gap Cycle Path, Queensland, Australia
- Carretera Austral (CH-7, Southern Way), Patagonia, Chile
- The Cabot Trail of Nova Scotia, Cape Breton Highlands, Canada
- Crater Lake Loop, Oregon, USA
- The Katy Trail, Missouri, USA
- Romantic Road, Bavaria & Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- The camel trail, Cornwall, UK
- Cape Point Nature Reserve, Table Mountain National Park, South Africa
- Cilento National Park, Province of Salerno, Italy
- Parenzana, Croatia, Slovenia & Italy
- Loop of the Chapel, Provence, France
- The Hauraki Rail Trail, Coromandel Peninsula and Hauraki Plains, New Zealand
- Yungas Road, La Paz and Yungas, Bolivia
- Monsanto Forest Park, Lisbon, Portugal
- Van Gogh-Roosegaarde cycle path, Eindhoven, Netherlands
- EV5 Via Romea Francigena (EuroVelo 5), United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy
- Route of the Seven Lakes/Ruta de los Siete Lagos, Patagonia, Argentina
- Elbe Cycle Path, Poland and Germany
- Route des Grandes Alpes, French Alps, France
- Alps to Ocean Trail, South Island, New Zealand
- High Atlas, Atlas, Morocco
- Centenary Trail, Canberra, Australia
- Ho Chi Minh Trail, North and South of Vietnam
- Central Otago Rail Trail, Central Otago District, New Zealand